The New York Mets announced that Zack Wheeler underwent successful Tommy John surgery to repair his UCL and a torn flexor tendon. That’s good news. However, Wheeler could have avoided the surgery. How? Listen to Season 2, Episode 5 of The Fix.
During the podcast, Angel Borrelli reviews the warning signs Wheeler had going back to his high school days on the mound — warning signs that weren’t properly dealt with. She also dispels the following myths:
– pitching injuries are inevitable / unavoidable
– man “isn’t meant to throw overhand” / “throwing a baseball is unnatural”
– “throwing hard will eventually lead to injury”
– the elbow cannot be strengthened
– pitchers know more about pitching injuries than anyone else
On a positive note, Angel provides a free tip on achieving peak velocity — in fact, it is the most fundamental element and foundation for reaching maximum speed and MPH. It’s called “separation.”